Friday, August 21, 2009

Yellowstone National Park
Each year there are several free days to get into National Parks. Our family takes advantage of them because who can beat FREE! We told Anthony and Mandy about it and they wanted to come so they came up for the weekend and went to Yellowstone with us!
We also knew going into this that President Obama would be in the park and we figured it would be super busy with tons of people but we figured wrong. The only glimpse we had that the President was even in the park was the helicopters flying over head!
At this point of the journey everyone had to use the bathroom but at this stop there were no bathrooms so we did the hike and then went in search of bathrooms. Also Anthony and Mandy here are watching Josh put coolant in the van so we wouldn't have to run the heat! Even though we could have stood the heat when the day got cooler!He is not doing the potty dance! He must have had an itch or wedgie :) On this hike where there were no bathrooms we came across bubbling spots they called painters pots. We weren't here long because the hike was only 1/4 mile and everyone had to use the bathroom so we made it a quick hike!As we drove from the painters pots looking for a bathroom we came across a little pull out with picnic tables and a bathroom!!! We pulled off and while Mandy waited in line of about 10 or so people Anthony and Brayden went off exploring and of course I followed at a distance to take some pictures. Here Brayden is showing Anthony something... probably the river or log down below that they played on.
This picture is a hot pool. It wasn't hot enough to bubble but we could see the steam coming off of it. They made me wish there were a hot tub around. The weather was very cool so a hot dip would have been nice. The high temperature of the day was 45 degrees and I can believe it.

There was a bit of wildlife. We saw some elk and buffalo. The buffalo were right next to the road and so were the elk but when we stopped to take pictures of the elk a ranger wanted use to pull farther off the road and we couldn't or we would have done some damage so i didn't get any pictures of the elk.We did a long hike to see some pretty waterfalls! This picture is on the way down to see the upper falls of the river.
The upper falls from across the river. In this picture you can see a bunch of people on the platform on the right side of the falls. That is where we were when we took the pictures of the river before the falls.
While we were on the platform before crossing the river we took some pictures of us. Brayden found a little cave in the rock and I thought it was cute.I know shocking that i would hand over my camera so i could be in a picture huh?We then hiked to the lower falls. To get to the lower falls there were 328 stairs going down 600 feet. By this point some of us were pooped from a long day but Anthony was just dying to go down. The rest of us stayed at the top of the path and waited for him but I sent my camera with Anthony. I know I gave my camera up again! After Anthony was down there for awhile Brayden started getting antsy and wanted to go down. They saw Anthony coming back up the trail and Brayden told him he wanted to go down and see... so Anthony climbed 656 stairs within a half hours time. At the top of the path there was a sign that said "this trip is definately not recommended for those suffering from heart or breathing problems. Maybe Anthony wasn't before but he was certainly having problems after the second climb :) I must say though that Anthony got some shots of the beautiful scenery.The lower falls that Anthony hiked to see. After seeing the pictures I wish i had gone but I am sure we will be there again next year!The only mishap that we had the whole trip besides the van needing coolant was that Brayden tripped and fell on a cement path. He got his knee and elbow cut open and he insisted Anthony carry him! Talk about a neck cramp! This is after we got back to the car. He looks like he is going to be sick but he isn't just hurting I am sure. He refused to let me clean it but the longer we were in the park the colder it got so I finally got him to put on a pair of pants and he totally forgot all about falling!On the way out of the park I had Josh stop so we could get a picture! I gave the honors to Anthony to take the picture. I asked Kaytlin where Anthony was so she was looking at the camera but instead she pointed!
The ride home was peaceful and quiet! Must have been a long tiring day!
On the way home in Ashton we stopped at Big Juds for dinner.
Couldn't pass up the 1 pound burger!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun trip to Yellowstone! Sounds like some good memories were made.

    ReplyDelete