Grandma Kay
Often times we lose loved ones when we least expect it but we had an inkling Grandma would be leaving us sooner rather than later. I was able to visit with her in December through her window and over the phone and knew that visit would most likely be my last time seeing her here on earth. I didn't want to believe it but just knew. I was able to tell her I loved her and I enjoyed her sense of humor even when she couldn't put her arms around us physically. When we were preparing to leave her apartment visit I couldn't bring myself to look back and see her crying for us. I have so many amazing memories of my grandma and I want to emulate her love for others knowing I will see her again one day. After receiving word that she was passing we were able to make arrangements to be there in Ohio with my family. We celebrated her life all together again even though it had only been months before for my other Grandma's funeral.
Monday - Finish Packing, Drive to Utah, get dinner, check into hotel, zoom parent teacher conference for Brayden.
Tuesday - Meet Tracey to drive us to the airport at 6:30am. Spent the day flying.
This child entertained everyone waiting with her bop it that I was unaware she packed. Quiet setting doesn't quite go quiet enough at 7 am in the morning.
Loaded on the first flight from Salt Lake City, Utah to Chicago, Illinois.
In Chicago, we met up with Carl's family. Alexis and Kaytlin then practiced the splits and stretched for the next flight.
We were spread out on the flight a bit except the girls. They loved their cousin time.
We landed in Detroit and headed to the car rental places.
While we waited in Detroit for Anthony and Gwenda we all hit the Wendy's for Frosty's because we thought we would be waiting awhile but it ended up only being about thirty minutes after we got out rental vehicle.
We picked up Anthony and Gwenda and then grabbed dinner fairly close to the airport.
After dinner we got on the road to OHIO.
The drive from the airport to my parents house is about an hour and a half.
The traveling day was exhausting for everyone!
We finally made it!
The kids got out of the cars, gave love to grandpa and grandma and then played in the pond.
Everyone then got their bed assignments and Uncle Carl read all the kids a story that Grandma was able to find. "Barney loves you" was a laughing success for all the exhausted kids. I especially loved the giggles and laughter.
Wednesday - Most of us slept in. We then got up and dressed to spend the day at the church for Grandma Kay's visitation and funeral.
Visiting with everyone at the visitation and funeral was so amazing. The hugs, sweet words and memories from so many close friends, ward members, neighbors, and family will be forever remembered. My best friend Crystal happened to be in Ohio house sitting for her parents. She lives in Virginia and I hadn't seen her since 2003 when Josh and I were married.

A ward member fed us lunch while we were visiting with everyone at the visitation.
We then headed to the gravesite. My final service to my grandma was helping with pallbearing. I would not on a normal day even volunteer for such a thing.
All the siblings together. From left to right:
Uncle Mark Vermillion, Uncle Sam Vermillion, Uncle Eric Vermillion, Uncle Aaron Vermillion, Aunt Elberta (Ellie) Bruno, and Joseph Vermillion (Dad). The headstone pictured is my Grandpa Neil's parents.
We were all able to be in Ohio for this funeral too.
The ward Relief Society prepared a lovely dinner for us all to enjoy after the gravesite.
Lots of kids to play with. These are some of my nieces, nephews and some of my cousins.
The girls wanted to hurry back to Grandma's house so they could go swimming in the pond. In my mind the weather was a bit chilly but they still got in.

Lots of sand castle building and playing with cousins.
Got the kids to bed because they were all tired after the long day. The adults got together and played cards. This was a huge pastime of Grandma Kay's.
Thursday - saying goodbye is hard. We loaded up and headed back to Detroit for our full day of traveling back home. The kids played so hard and crammed so much into a day and a half that they conked out in the car.
We returned the rental vehicle and walked with Anthony and Gwenda to their gate since they were on the same flight that left before we did. I cried even though I knew I would see them in just a few hours at the Denver airport.
They met us at our gate when we arrived in Denver then Anthony gave loves and headed home. Gwenda hung out with us for awhile until we were boarding. We all gave loves and started loading. I looked back at her and we both started crying not knowing when the next time we would be together would be.
We made it home about 10:30 and got to bed so we could get to school and work the next day.
I am so thankful my kids got to meet her several times and got to know her over the years. The next pictures are from the last few visits we made to Ohio within the last 5 years.
December 2020 because of covid we only got to do a window/phone visit. The last time I was able to tell her I love her. I knew that would most likely be my last visit with her on earth. I will always remember her sense of humor and calling my brothers fur face 1 and fur face 2 and pointing at my brothers through the window from her wheelchair.
Grandma Kay was able to visit us in Idaho when our Alayna was born in 2010 and for Carl's wedding which was the same week. A fond memory we have of that visit is when she fell down the stairs at our house. A few minutes later my dad fell down the same stairs. Shortly after my mom stood at the top of the stairs and stomped and we all thought she was falling down them too. Both Grandma and Dad were ok and we all laughed really hard.
To my Dear Sweet Angel Grandma, we will miss you but know you are watching over us all. I know you are playing and loving on Sarah and all those that went before us. I am sure that heavenly reunion was something! We love and miss you!
No comments:
Post a Comment