Friday, May 15, 2020

Stories to Tell
You all know our Kaytlin. She is full of energy and will try anything. Well this happened...

Tuesday March 10th 2020 Kaytlin came home from mutual and we were doing our bed time routine with the kids when I noticed she was holding her hand cautiously. I asked her what was wrong and she said she got hurt at church playing keep away. The way she was holding it told me we were making a trip to the Doctor's Office. They took an x-ray and came back with an affirmative broken bone at the base of her pinkie across the growth plate. They asked us if we have an Orthopedic Surgeon we could work with. Being married to Josh of course we do. They put her in a splint, gave her meds and told us to call the Orthopedic Surgeon in the morning. They scheduled to see her Friday morning. The doctor there told us that they don't see this break very often at all and its rare. Of course it is! We had a follow up in a month and no jumping, running, PE, recess, cartwheels, no craziness. No easy task!


and this happened...
On April 8, 2020 the day before her scheduled follow up with the Orthopedic Surgeon for her finger she came limping into the living room saying her toe was hurting. I figured she couldn't have done much to it since we hadn't left the house so I told her to take a seat and rest. I asked her what she did to get hurt and said she was just walking down the stairs and her toes curled up under her foot. She sat maybe 20-30 minutes before she started crying. I asked her what her pain level was between 0-10 and she said an 8. I looked at Brayden and told him he was in charge of watching Alayna while I ran Kaytlin to the Doctor's again. When we got to the office they asked why we needed seen and I laughed a little and said another possible broken foot. All the nurses welcomed us back and had a good laugh about the situation of having seen her just a few weeks prior for a different broken bone. Getting her up to get an X-ray she stumbled into the rolling chair and almost fell but the nurses all started panicking and told her to be very careful. They took many angles to get one that would show anything but they got it. Broken toe! 


 The next day at the Orthopedic Surgeons office the doctor came in to check up on her finger and I mentioned we needed to be seen for her new break too. He was able to pull up the X rays taken the night before and sure enough...another rare break. This break is across the first joint of her middle toe on her left foot. He told us this break would take longer to heal and that she needed to wear a special shoe to help protect it. The doctor then wanted to schedule a follow up in a month and I looked at him and laughed...he caught the humor and said "with no new injuries". We called Grandma and told her what was going on and she told us to tie her down so she couldn't get hurt anymore. Just last week May 8th she was given a clean bill of health and was told she could go back to her regular routine. He cleared her for gymnastics and everything.


Be careful, Kaytlin!

No comments:

Post a Comment